I Wayan Sudirana was born in Ubud, Bali, on May 31st, 1980. A graduate of the Indonesian Arts
Institute (ISI Denpasar), and a member of the Cudamani collective, he is one of Bali's most gifted
musicians. He has composed and taught actively in Bali and abroad and frequently toured internationally.
He has been artist in residence at the University of British Columbia (UBC) since 2004. He received his
MA in Ethnomusicology from UBC in 2009, and Ph.D. in Ethnomusicology also from UBC in 2013. He
is currently a lecturer at the Indonesian Arts Institute of Denpasar (under-graduate and post graduate
-2018. “Answering Questions, Questioning Answers: Intellectuality in the Creative Process of
Balinese Gamelan Composition.” 5th Symposium of the ICTM Study Group on Performing Arts
of Southeast Asia (PASEA). National Museum of Sabah
- 2018. “Meguru Panggul and Meguru Kuping; The Method of Learning and Teaching Balinese
Gamelan.” Lekesan: Interdeciplinary Journal of Asia Pacific Arts. Vol. 1, Issue 1, April 2018
- 2018. “Improvisation in Balinese Music: An Analytical Study of Three Different Types of
Drumming in the Balinese Gamelan Gong Kebyar.” Journal of Music Science, Technology, and
Industry, Vol. 1. Issue 1, October 2018 (ISSN 2622-8211)
- 2017. “Tradisi Versus Modern: Diskursus Pemahaman Istilah Tradisi dan Modern di Indonesia,”
Prosiding Seminar Nasional, Fakultas Seni Pertunjukan, ISI Denpasar, February 2017 (ISBN
- 2016. Seni Pertunjukan Berbasis Kearifal Lokal: “Bali Fusion Pop Musik,” Prosiding Seminar
Nasional, Fakultas Seni Pertunjukan ISI Denpasar, Oktober 2016 (ISBN 978-602-73711-0-1
- 2016 “JingGong, Finding Identity in Composing New Music.” Drumming Nation Symposium,
Kaleidoscope Drumming Festival, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2016
- 2015. “Understanding Tradition in Composing New Contemporary Works for Gamelan.” First
International Bali Conference, Bali Spirit Festival, 2015
- 2014. Cultural Evolution in Gamelan Gong Kebyar. 100 year of Gamelan Gong Kebyar, Bentara
Budaya Bali Kompas Group.
- 2013. Gamelan Gong Luang: Ritual, Time, Place, Music, and Change in a Balinese Sacred
Ensemble. PhD Dissertation. UBC https://circle.ubc.ca/handle/2429/44243
- 2013. “Borrowing, Stealing, Transforming: Intercultural Influences in Balinese Neo-Traditional
Composition” in Performing Arts in Postmodern Bali: Changing Interpretations, Founding
Traditions, Kendra Stepputat, ed. Graz: Shaker Verlag, page 175 – 186.
- 2012. Creative Process in Composing Balinese Contemporary Works. Canadian New Music
Network Conference, Woodward Hall, Simon Fraser University
- 2011. Intercultural Influences in Balinese Contemporary Composition. Society for
Ethnomusicology conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 2011. Borrowing, Stealing, Transforming: Foreign Materials in Balinese Neo-Traditional Music and the Evolution of Local Concepts of the “Work.” Joint Conference of Asian Studies and Association of Asian Scholars in Hawaii,
- 2010. Gamelan Gong Luang; Religious, Socio-cultural, and Philosophical Context. Directed
Study Paper as a preparation for Ph.D Dissertation. 2010
- 2009. Pengawak Kinada: Melody and Time in a Balinese Luang Composition, Journal Mudra
Special Edition (the only Indonesian Arts Journal in English)
- 2009. Kendang Tunggal: Balinese Solo Drumming Improvisation. MA Thesis, University of
- 2009. Old Javanese Ramayana: Its Connection to Bhattikavya and Predecessor of The Balinese
Ramayana Kekawin. Graduate Seminar Paper presented at the Asian Studies Seminar, UBC.
- 2008. Kebyar Style and Its Influence on Other Types of Gamelan. Graduate Ethnography and
Representation Seminar, UBC
- 2008. Timbila, Wilah, and Bilah; The Study of The Xylophone of Chopi People and Its Relation
To Indonesia, Graduate Seminar in African Studies, UBC.
- 2018. Linggar Petak, a nnew dance piece for ISI Denpasar
- 2018. Parianom Anyar, a new piece for gamelan gong kebyar at Bali Arts Festival, Bali
- 2018. Baleganjur Pitamaha, Baleganjur Competition at Gianyar Regency
- 2017 – 2018. Opera “Balinese Fable Story,” Jack Morton Production, New York
- 2017. Musical Drama “Oneness Project” on Korean Romeo Juliet – K Pop, Seoul Institute for the
Arts, Seoul Korea.
- 2016. “Kilitan,” a new piece combining reong, trompong, and taiko drum for Kaleidoscope
Drumming Festival, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 2016. “Nglegong,” a commissioned piece for the “Tribute to Lotring (Komponis Kini#1).”
Bentara Budaya Bali. Kompas
- 2015. “JingGong,” a piece that combines South Korean and Balinese music and won the best
prize from the South Korean Minister of Culture.
- 2015. “Ketug Bumi,” a piece for new ensemble Ketug Bumi presented by ISI Denpasar at the
opening of Bali Arts Festival 2015
- 2014. “Kasus Tiga,” a new music for gamelan that combines musical elements of South Indian
Tala Rhythm, African, and gamelan. It was commissioned for “a tribute to kebyar’ concert.
- 2013.“Kelangon,” a new music for gamelan that combines Violin, Zheng, and Gamelan
Semarandana, UBC Canada
- 2012.“Tabuh Pisan Bhaskara,” a classical lelambatan piece for gamelan GIta Asmara Canada.
- 2012.“Samasa,” a contemporary piece that combines West African drumming and gamelan
ensemble, UBC Canada
- 2010, “Sembur Tangi,” a new bebarongan piece (an opening piece for the the long dance drama
Calonarang) for gamelan Cenik Wayah. Ubud
- 2010, “Ruas,” a contemporary dance piece that was composed for gong competition between
Cenik Wayah and Dharma Swara New York.
- 2010, “New Binari,” a new arrangement of Binari for Sekaa Jaya Jenggala Taman Ubud, 2010
2010, “Rerejangan Catur Sandi,” a new dance piece composed and choreograph for the Grand
Temple Ceremony in Padang Tegal Village, Ubud.
- 2010, “Navadaza,” a new musical composition that combines elements of Western, African, and
African music. Commissioned by Gita Asmara, Canada.
- 2008, “Abakor” a new musical composition for Korean instruments, UBC Samulnori Ensemble,
- 2007, “Binari 2” a new musical composition for UBC student gamelan, Canada.
- 2007, “Didedy” a new musical composition, co-composed by Andrew McGraw, Ida Bagus Made
Widnyana, and I Wayan Sudirana, for gamelan Cudamani 2007.
- 2007, “Kreasi 4 5”, a new musical composition that are combining two different types of gamelan
that has different scale (gamelan Angklung and gamelan Gong Kebyar). This piece was composed
for the Bali Art Festival and played by “Gamelan Cenik Wayah” Ubud, Bali.
- 2007, “Gita Asmara” a new musical composition for Gamelan Gita Asmara Canada, 2007.
- 2006, “Arakok,” a new musical composition with combining western instrument and gamelan for
Gamelan Gita Asmara Canada.
- 2005, “Binari,” a new musical composition of Semarandhana for UBC’s Student Gamelan, 2005.